- Changes in your account status with the Office of the Bursar may be appealed if there are significant or unusual circumstances.
- Appeals should be addressed to the Office of the Bursar referencing account name, identification number, and current mailing address.
- Pertinent information regarding denial of University services, request for services reinstatement, and supporting documentation are necessary for consideration of appeals.
- Fee Refund Appeals are reviewed by the bursar office and sustained wherever possible.
A decision will be rendered in four to six weeks. Current status notification will be sent after a decision has been made. All appeals should be submitted at least 30 days prior to any upcoming registration period whenever possible.
Procedures to File an Appeal for Refund of Fees
Students who were required to involuntarily withdrawal from one or more courses, due to circumstances outside of their control, may submit the appeal application to request a refund of fees. This application, along with all required documentation, may be submitted by one of the following methods:
IUPUI Office of the Bursar
P.O. Box 6020
Indianapolis, IN 46206
Place it in the drop box located outside the Student Financial Services Office, Campus Center, suite 250.
- A completed
Application for Appeal of Fees
must be received by the Office of the Bursar within
one year following the close of the appealed
- Student must provide a detailed explanation of the circumstances that made it necessary for him/her to withdraw from course(s).
- Student must provide applicable supporting documentation (outlined below). Any supporting email documentation must be sent directly from the provider (instructor, department, advisor, etc.) to email@example.com. We cannot accept forwarded emails from the students as supporting documentation, as the email can be altered.
- Application must be signed to move forward with appeal.
- Financial Aid recipients may be affected if an appeal is granted. If this occurs, a student may owe the University an amount greater than the original appealed amount. Students receiving any type of financial aid are advised to consult with a Student Financial Aid Services advisor, prior to dropping classes or filing for an appeal. You may contact the Office of Student Financial Services via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (317) 274-4162.
- The student must have officially withdrawn from classes to file an appeal. Academic transcripts must indicate "W" (withdrawn) for courses to be appealed. Please note, grade change appeals must be submitted and approved prior to submitting the Appeal of Fees Application.
- Appeal requests must be submitted by the student. Appeals submitted by a parent or legal guardian on behalf of the student, will be accepted only in circumstances where the student may be mentally or physically unable.
- All communication made by our office regarding the appeal will be sent via IUPUI e-mail or to the contact information (local mailing address and phone number) provided in OneStart. Please ensure that all addresses and phone numbers on file with the University are kept current. Should you have any questions regarding this process you may contact the Registrar's Office at 317-274-1519 or email@example.com .
- Incomplete applications will not be considered by the Bursar Appeal Committee.
Appeal for Medical Reasons:
- Letters from physicians must be on office letterhead stating dates the student was under their care and that the student was unable to attend/participate in the course(s) being appealed. Due to the sensitive nature of medical circumstances it is not required that any detailed information regarding the condition/illness that may have led to the need to withdraw be provided.
- Office notes, notes on prescription paper, or
office receipts will not be accepted as appropriate
- Documentation from an insurance company will not be accepted as appropriate documentation.
Appeal for Reasons of Death:
- Newspaper obituary, funeral program/card or Death Certificate will be accepted documentation.
Appeal for Work Related Reasons:
- Letter from employer on office letterhead stating student could not attend or was required to drop the course(s)
*Additional supporting documentation may be requested by the Appeals Coordinator.
Final Decision Notification:
- Once the completed Appeal of Fees Application
has been received by our office, your appeal will be reviewed by
the Bursar Appeal Committee.
- You may expect notification of the final
decision within 4-6 weeks.
**Click the following link for an Application for Appeal of Fees**
The official Refund Policy and Refund Information is available at: