Payment Options & Related Information
Methods of Payment
You may pay your bursar bill online from your personal checking, savings, or credit card via:
- IU Bursar Pay
- Deferment Plan
- Electronic Transfer/International Payments
- Sponsored Students
- 529 College Savings Plan
- U.S. Mail
NOTE: Checks presented in person at the Office of Student Financial Services or dropped into the drop-box in the lobby may be converted into an electronic payment format.
Because paying in person may involve waiting in line, students are encouraged to pay on-line using credit card, check or saving account, by mail, or by using the drop box. Mailing your payment at least five business days prior to the due date will help ensure receipt of payment by the due date.
- Checking or Savings account (e-check)
- Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express
NOTE: Beginning August 1, 2010, a convenience fee/service charge will be assessed for using your credit card. To learn more, click the following link: Credit Card Convenience Fee to learn more.
To view an online tutorial on 'How to Pay Your Bill,' check out
our tutorial page by clicking the following link:
How to Pay Bill Tutorial.
The Student Can:
- View or Print exact copies of your past bills.
- Make payments to your bursar account from your personal checking, savings, or credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express).
- Grant 3rd Party Access: A student may choose to set up a "3rd Party User", often a parent or guardian, who may then view and/or pay the student's bill. However, students are ultimately responsible for the timely payment of their bursar bill.�
The Student and the 3rd Party User Can:
- View history of all payments made - by whom, how much, and when.
- View history of billing statements as your billing history file develops over time.
- For instructions on how the student can grant 3rd Party Access please visit http://www.bursar.iupui.edu/Bursar-Pay-Guide.asp#Setting_Up_a_3rd_Party_User_(Student_Only)
- Click the following link to login as a 3rd Party User: https://onestart.iu.edu/my2-prd/portal/104201
Note: Our staff does not have access to your confidential banking information.
For full details of the Deferment option and a list of Frequently Asked Questions, follow the link above. The following is an excerpt from the Announcement.
Students who register prior to the first billing of a semester may qualify for our "Deferment Option". The deferment payment amount will include 100% of any prior term or past due charges, 100% of prior or current term Refunds, Short Term Loans, and approximately 25% of any current term unpaid credit hour, course related, mandatory fees, miscellaneous charges and current term housing charges.
The deferment payment will be calculated and clearly indicated on the first bill of each term. A service charge of $15.00 will be included in the deferment payment. Denial of the payment plan option may occur if payments are received after the payment due date (the third Tuesday of the month in which the bill is sent).
Students can pay their bursar balances by using Western Union's Travelex Bank to Bank transfer. This option allows you to pay in your own currency while providing a simple and secure way to initiate an electronic payment.
Follow the instructions on the Western Union Travelex website. (You may need to enable pop-ups on your computer.)
Once you connect to Travelex:
- You will be asked to enter information including your name, ten-digit University ID Number, and IU campus of enrollment and click Next.
- Enter the amount to pay in US dollars and click Continue.
- Select your currency choice from the drop down list and click Continue. (If your local currency is not available, you need to choose another currency on the list or UNITED STATES (USD).)
- Click the checkbox to receive your bank instructions by email. (You will also have an opportunity to print these instructions after your transaction has been completed.)
- Complete the other fields as listed if someone other than the student is making the payment, then click Continue.
- Review Conditions and click the checkbox, then click Submit.
- Print your confirmation page/quote and take it to your local bank.
- Your local bank will then transfer the funds via Travelex to IUPUI.
- IUPUI will post the US dollar equivalent to your bursar account, generally 3 to 5 business days after your local bank initiates a payment.
Note: There are no transaction charges from Travelex or IUPUI, although you may be charged a transaction fee by your bank. The exchange rate is competitive when compared to retail rates and is valid for 72 hours after the transaction is initiated.To initiate an international bank to bank payment through Travelex, click:
Sponsored students are those for whom an agency outside the university is paying student fees. This usually is an employer but includes government agencies, Vocational Rehabilitation, Military branches, foreign governments, Trusts, and other such funding sources.
- Email: Sponsor Email
- Phone: (317)274-2451
- Fax: (317)278-1579
A qualified tuition program (or 529 Plan) is a program set up to allow either prepayments or contributions to an account established for paying a student's qualified education expenses at an eligible educational institution. (IRS Publication 970.)
These plans are designed to help parents set aside money for their children's college. Almost every state and many financial and educational institutions have 529 Plans. Contact your state's Department of Higher Education to learn more.
Indiana's College Choice 529 Savings Plan
The account owner has four options for making/requesting payment:
- Complete Distribution Request Form and submit via U.S. Mail
- Call College Choice and request payment
- Submit request online at www.collegechoiceadvisor529.com.
- Contact advisor and have them request payment
PO Box 6020
Indianapolis, IN 46206-6020
Neighboring States 529 Plan Websites
Kentucky - http://www.kysaves.com
The following 529 plan payments require specific information from the University. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org (or 317.274.2451) for more information.
Michigan - http://www.michigan.gov/setwithmet/
Florida - http://www.myfloridaprepaid.com/
Mail-In your check or Money Order Payments
If you wish to mail in the payment you must print a PDF version of your
bill from IU Bursar Pay and mail it along with your check payment to:
IUPUI Lockbox; Payment Processing Center; P.O. Box 7245;
Indianapolis, IN 46206-7245.
Checks presented in person with our
representatives at Student Financial Services Office or placed in the lobby drop-box may be
converted into an electronic payment format.
Checks or money orders must be made payable to IUPUI.
Checks or money orders must be payable in United States dollars and
drawn on a United States bank.
Postdated checks are not accepted.
Counter checks may not be accepted.
Two-party checks (i.e. checks made payable to an individual, company, or
institution other than IUPUI) are not accepted.
If payment is made by check, any resulting or future credit balance will not be
refunded for a deferment of 21 calendar days from the date of the payment.
Any personal business checks may be returned if the account indicates to send
For other information regarding check payments, see also: No Checks Accepted as defined on Schedule Confirmation/Account Statement, Stop Payment; Returned Checks.
Cash or Traveler's Check Payments
- All payments must be United States currency.
- Do not place cash or signed traveler's checks in the drop box located in the northeast side of the building on the second floor.
- All in-person payments must be transacted at the Office of Student Financial Services
during regular business hours located at:
IUPUI Campus Center
420 University Blvd.
Indianapolis, IN 46202
8:00 AM to 5:30 PM, Mon - Thurs (Limited service after 5:00 PM)
9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, on Friday